March 19, 2008

Spicy Virgin

Another RAT. Its about advertisements.

Last day, I told you about Virgin Mobile’s new scheme. I believe, this offer is revolutionary and is about to change the mobile industry. The offer is certainly tempting. Today, I wish to tell you about and compare an advertisement by Virgin Mobile, against another by Spice Mobile Phones.
First, about the SPICE MOBILEPHONES.
The advertisement ( in local news papers) presenting 6 models of color phones says:
“ Send a romantic SMS to your English teacher.
Take a photo of your neighbor Juliet.
Send a missed call to your old girl-friend.

Sweet wordings na ? But I feel a bit irritated. Is it proper to send a romance message to your teacher ? Romancing with your teacher ?? No, No, that’s not right. Never think of such things. Relationship with the Teacher (Guru) is very noble and is certainly NOT of romance type. Indian culture doesnot agree to this kind of, let me say, immoral thoughts.
The copy writer for this ad may not have understood the sentiments and value of Indian culture. But the company too has the responsibility to ensure the correctness and appropriateness of the message (including the words !) they are advertising.

Or, will someone tell me that I misunderstood the meaning of ‘Romance’ ?

Now, about the second. This is an ad by Virgin. Excellent ad, beautiful and meaningful. The ad has a girl, wearing a T shirt with a mobile number printed on it. And she says, ‘Call me’ ( with the innocent (virgin) idea of getting paid ! ). The message is loud and clear, presented beautifully, and tempting.
A bit closer look and analysis tells you a lot ! The girl’s telephone number is very interesting, not alone her looks. A bit of commonsense will tell you the meaning and relevance. If you are very anxious to know that, please see the ad and analyse yourself. If in doubt, please ask me ( sciencetoday@gmail.com ).

I wish I switch over my BSNL postpaid mobile to Virgin ! Let me get paid, not robbed.


For those of you who haven't seen the ads, please see them tomorrow in this blog.

No comments: