March 18, 2008

Changes for the better

Here is a RAT !
IT @ Corporation office, Trivandrum

Today, I had been to the Office of Trivandrum Corporation, for payment of House Tax.
I did not have the previous payment receipt with me.
At the reception, I told him my intention. He, with a smile, asked me to go to their Computer room, for obtaining details of payment to be done. There, at the Computer room ( 4 persons with their PCs and sitting in their well of files) , I was immediately attended. The lady was very polite, and after going through her Computer, gave me the data on amount to be paid, written on a piece of paper.
I went to the Counter hall. About 15 counters, for various purposes, are functioning there. I took a token from the ‘token vending machine’. No.xx. To my surprise, my turn came within a minute – by token number and counter number flashing on a display board. At the counter, the man was busy attending to another person; however, he asked me to take a seat. My second surprise – he too was very polite, and with a smile ( no Government employee normally receives a customer with a smile !). In another minute's time, I handed over the slip with details (the Computer lady gave me ) to him. The man started typing the details, name, house no, amount, etc.. and at the end of which he printed a receipt. I paid the cash, got the receipt and moved out of the counter. I verified the entries on the receipt and found that the house no.and location are wrong. I went back to him, amidst his attending another person. He listened to me and took back the receipt. He made another one, again by typing out the details. This time it was OK, and I returned.

The points I wish to make here are the following.
1. Trivandrum Corporation Office (atleast the payment counters) have certainly improved a lot, and is really good. I appreciate them. The personnel too are good ( I understand that these staff members are contract employees, and not permanent staff. May be that’s why !)
2. It is unfortunate that they are using the Computer as a glorified typewriter ( ? ). OR, the software for the payment system is not proper. Why should he type out the name and other details over again, when the data base is supposed to have all the details automatically shown? The only input requirements ( as far as the house tax is concerned) is the ward number, and house number ( the TC no. ). The software should be made to account all details automatically.
3. For any payment, why should the customers go to the Computer room ? The same details can be made available at the Counter, on his Computer. This can bring down the transaction time to a tenth of the present system.

I wish, Corporation’s IT advisors listen !

This appreciation is in comparison to my experiences in the Corporation office during 1981 ( in connection with a house building permit).

No comments: