March 14, 2008

MOCO


Last week, I rediscovered my favourite “MOCO”.
MOCO is a cartoonist. Sorry, two cartoonists. Moco is the name joining the names of the two creators. (More on them later ).
A strip cartoon, which was serialized in “Kerala Kaumudi” newspaper (published from Trivandrum) during the 70s, was my favourite. I simply loved it. The main character in this cartoon is a short round headed man. The strip, in two or three frames, covers his actions/experiences of an event. Please see samples below, for you to enjoy.
I used to cut the cartoon strips, and collect. I had pasted all those strips (about 300 ) in a long note book ( in two books !).
However, the name of the character was not known to me then. I could research and find out. I gave this collection to some of my friends (during 70s/80s) and put the challenge to find the character’s name. If I remember right, over 20 people attempted. Only one could identify the character’s name, from the cartoon strips ( There was no Internet those days to search for MOCO ). Thus it was thrilling to me. Each strip is so amusing, it makes you laugh !

Last week, I used my digital camera to digitize my collection. Now I am editing each image ( using Picasa 2 ) , for creating a slide show. I am sure, this show, with over 300 (?) cartoon strips, will be a great entertainer. I shall keep you informed of the progress.

Any suggestions ? Please write to me.

No comments: