March 14, 2008

Countdown and count down

Hi all,
In my Organisation, where I lived for 33 years, there is a house magazine titled "Countdown". I didn't like that name, and I expressed my view to many there. Sorry, I wasn't that influential to change that name or state of the magazine.

Countdown signifies something (some event) coming to an end. Countdown is a very important term, as far as the activities of my Organisation is concerned. Don't guess..... it's about launching of Rockets and Satellite Launch Vehicles! (Yeah, SLVs, the term synonymous with our past President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam ). Counting down and at zero the event happens (launch, liftoff !). Though there are many more things that follow after the launch (count up), the literary sense of the word suggests - 'its over' !
What sense does it carry, for a magazine to be called "Countdown" ? I won't say "ROGER" to this name/idea.
I pray, let 'Countdown' keep counting down - never reaching zero !

No comments: