August 6, 2008

Number of English words

When I teach Computer programming to students, in its introductory lessons, I tell them that there are only a few words used in that (Computer) language. Immediately a question would arise, as to 'how many words are there in English language ?.' 

They get surprised, as no one normally thinks about counting words. The obvious answer would be 'I don't know !". I used to tell them that there are millions of words, and words are continually being added to the dictionary ( as I too don't know the exact number).  But now, here is an answer  to the question. 'Business India index' says :

Number of words currently in English language  :  9, 95,844

Date on which English language will reach its One Millionth word : 29-04-2009.

Average time during which a new English word is created , in minutes : 98

Howzzaat .... !

No comments: