June 11, 2008

Right to know

Even in this age of ‘Right to know’, I wonder, why the doctors are reluctant (not inclined to atall ) to give necessary information and convince their patients. The attitude taken by most of the doctors, I have experienced with, is something I can’t digest. They feel ( and express ) that you as a patient, sitting in front of him, is a piece of junk ! some idiot !! They look at you, and say, that “I am the best doctor you can find out. I am doing the right and the best thing possible in this world. Don’t ask me such silly and stupid questions”.
But how do I know that I am getting the right treatment ? NO WAY !!

The culture of a “second opinion from a doctor” just doesn’t exist here. If I tell you a doctor that I have come to you for a second opinion, then that’s the end of it.
The net result is that, if you are sick, throw yourself to the ego of the doctor you happened to consult. Be happy with what you get, and nothing more. And believe that it’s the best, what you get. Pray God and be happy. Don’t dare to ask the doctor, whether you are at the right place, or whether the diagnosis is right .
With all these, you are compelled to take an uninformed and blind decision. May God bless all of us.

About a second opinion !
Some time ago, a relative of mine was under treatment (by a Nephrologist) in a local hospital. As I could feel many mismatches (I am not a doctor, but I believe I have the commonsense to understand ) I decided to consult another Nephrologist (who is well known in this City) . That’s the greatest mistake I did. This doctor, who said that he is the only qualified Nephrologist in this City, abused every other doctor for wrong practices. On reviewing the medical records, he was kind enough to tell me that my patient is very serious and requires immediate hospitalization in another hospital (where he is the consultant). The patient’s father, who was also with me, was totally scared. I told him that we’ll take a third opinion.
We went to a retired, old, local doctor (He is a general physician ). On discussions (not the experience with the Nephrologist) and review of records, he said : “This patient is not suffering from any Nephrological problems. Stop all those medicines immediately. Get discharged from the hospital right now. She requires no medication now “.
We were again confused. We frankly told the doctor about our situation. He asked more about the patient. And, he said : “What I said is right. That’s the best thing you can do. Don’t allow those experts to create a non-recoverable problem for your patient. The symptoms shown are nothing to do with nephrology”.
And that’s exactly what we did. This doctor was right ! The patient was perfectly normal in three days.
Thank God.

No comments: