April 2, 2008

Remembering Laurie Baker

Baker. He built my heaven, the place where I live. I am proud , its Baker's creation.

Today, is the first anniversary of "Baker"less world.
Let me get some quotations :
"Perunthachan of the poor"
"Even in his time, Baker could have amassed great wealth. But he said no to wealth."
"Baker is synonymous to low cost housing'
"Baker model means unique and low cost"

Baker is an idol among architects. Its true, he could have made crores. But he did not want it.
I am fortunate to own a cottage created by Baker. 28 years ago, he made me a 980 sqft(in 2 floors) in a 2.6 cent plot, for 75,000 Rupees. But the cost alone is not the point. The design is very beautiful, and of high utility. Above all, I have a unique cottage designed and built by the best in the world. Noone can claim this any more.
I think the most important factors of Baker's creations are :
Unique - no two buildings are alike. They never share anything in common.
Simple - Looks simple, but elegant.
Affordable - It is more than just economical or low cost; he makes the building to match your pocket size.
Utility - Nothing is a waste. Full utilisation of space and other resources.

I've seen him working. At home, making designs; At work sites, doing masonry, or carpentry. He knows well what he practices.
He used simple proven technologies. Nothing sophisticated.
He was too good in decision making. He makes instant suggestions, changes, and hence solves many issues at ease.
He loved nature. He could find use for anything that comes to him. He could convert any waste material (that's what we think) into an object of art and desire.

He did not like maoney. He didnot take even a Rupee as his professional charges from me. I was surprised, inspite of my requesting him to take some money as his charges, he did not ! He said " You live here, We'll see that (about money)later". That later became never.
Baker was a true simple person. I've never seen him wearing a costly or synthetic dress.
He always had a smile. I can never forget his smile.
He was a man of good humour.
While the foundation work for my cottage was in progress, I took a few days' leave and was with it. When Baker came to the site, he saw me and immediately commented "Oh.. you started living here !? "

His workers used to call him "Daddy". These workers ( and most of the people) used to refer him as "Saayipp".

Dear sir, we always have YOU in our memories.
YOU live in our memories, while WE live in your homes, for ever !

No comments: