December 10, 2008

Ernakulam / Cochin scenes

Cochin aka Kochi aka Ernakulam.
'Ernakulam' can be dissected to analyse as :
Erana kulam . 'Kulam' means pond. 'Erana' means 'having aiswaryam' (clean and holy).
But today's Ernakulam is ( I feel) an 'Eranamketta kulam'. 'Eranam ketta' means 'not having any aiswaryam'. ie. dirty and ugly pond. That's Ernakulam.

I hope my Kochi friends and others would pardon me for making such an analysis and conclusion.
Believe me, that's what I saw last day at Kochi (for me Ernakulam and Kochi are same ).
Look at the snaps I took on the way from Ernakulam south to Kadavanthara. There's a narrow culvert enroute. Scenes from this culvert (adjoining he market).




















It's certainly not water in the canal. Looks like mercury ! Isn't it ?




















And there's no mercury in this canal. It's a farm for haycinth (paayal).




















Keralites, it looks, is not aware that the haycinth (the vegetation you curse ! ) is an excellant source of fish food ! And you know, it's a source of electrical energy !
I pray, our techno-sociologists initiate a revolutionary project for using this resource. That day is not far off. I would see Ernakulam canals clean and beautiful then.
But when ?

No comments: